Two weeks before Election Day, most of the nation’s likely voters now expect the Republican Party to take control of the U.S. Senate, according to a new Associated Press-GfK poll. And by a growing margin, they say that’s the outcome they’d like to see.
The economy remains the top issue for likely voters — 91 percent call it “extremely” or “very” important. And the GOP has increased its advantage as the party more trusted to handle the issue to a margin of 39 percent to 31 percent.
Among all adults (which includes those too lazy and stupid to vote), 38 percent say they’d like the Democrats to wind up in control of Congress, to 36 percent for the Republicans. But the GOP holds a significant lead among those most likely to cast ballots (in other words, those intelligent enough to understand the need for participation in government): 47 percent of these voters favor a Republican controlled-Congress, 39 percent a Democratic one. That’s a shift in the GOP’s favor since an AP-GfK poll in late September, when the two parties ran about evenly among likely voters.
Women have moved in the GOP’s direction since September. In last month’s AP-GfK poll, 47 percent of female likely voters said they favored a Democratic-controlled Congress while 40 percent wanted the Republicans to capture control. In the new poll, the two parties are about even among women, 44 percent prefer the Republicans, 42 percent the Democrats.
SOURCES: AP/Yahoo News
And what does it mean when the Liberal Media grudgingly admit a GOP victory? Most likely a landslide, which they typically call a tantrum.
Each of the Ebola vaccines being lined up for testing carries potential downsides, researchers say, ranging from efficacy that faded in less than a year to the chance it will give healthy people flu-like symptoms. In a worst-case scenario, they could do more harm than good.
Human trials, just starting on some vaccines, could also unveil unknown side effects, an unwelcome possibility for shots designed to be taken by people who may never be infected with Ebola. That’s why it’s imperative to cast a wide net in seeking a solution, said Matthias Schnell, a microbiologist at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia.
“We really should test as many vaccines as we can,” Schnell, who is working on a vaccine that targets Ebola and rabies, said in a telephone interview. “We need way more clinical data for each vaccine before we go ahead with mass vaccination.”
Because they are given to healthy people, vaccines have the potential to do more harm than good if serious unexpected effects occur, said Ben Neuman, a virologist at the University of Reading in the U.K. In 2007, for example, Merck & Co. halted trials of once-promising AIDS vaccine after a study found that people who got the vaccine may have been more likely to contract HIV than those who got a placebo shot.
Actually the AIDS drug of choice for many years, AZT, was never tested properly (especially since it had been rejected as an end-stage cancer drug due to it’s toxicity) and caused tens of thousands of deaths until health officials grudgingly (albeit privately) admitted it was doing much more damage than good.
History is full of examples of the “cure” to a disease causing more damage that the disease itself. More children contracted polio due to the polio vaccine than had contracted it naturally.
Be warned that if the government decides to require that everyone get the Ebola vaccine, then we’ll be looking at the exact same problem.
In a turning of tables on Ebola monitoring, an East African nation is screening all visitors from the United States and Spain for the deadly virus.
The U.S. Embassy in Rwanda posted the following notice on its website today.
“On October 19, the Rwandan Ministry of Health introduced new Ebola Virus Disease screening requirements. Visitors who have been in the United States or Spain during the last 22 days are now required to report their medical condition — regardless of whether they are experiencing symptoms of Ebola — by telephone by dialing 114 between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. for the duration of their visit to Rwanda (if less than 21 days), or for the first 21 days of their visit to Rwanda. Rwandan authorities continue to deny entry to visitors who traveled to Guinea, Liberia, Senegal, or Sierra Leone within the past 22 days.”
The notice appears to be in response to recent cases in both countries. In addition to the three people diagnosed with the deadly virus in Dallas, an additional five patients transported from West Africa have received treatment for Ebola on American soil. Spain has seen three cases, according to health officials.
Read the full story at ABC News (warning video autoplay)
On Tuesday, ABC and NBC made no mention of the upcoming midterm elections, which were two weeks away from Tuesday and include numerous Senate races that will decide whether Republicans or Democrats control the U.S. Senate.
ABC’s Good Morning America, ABC World News Tonight with David Muir, NBC’s Today, and NBC Nightly News made no mention of the midterm elections in their evening newscasts while the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley ran not one but two segments on the topic during its Tuesday night broadcast.
Instead of acknowledging President Obama’s unpopularity ahead of the midterm elections or even the midterms itself, ABC World News Tonight with David Muir found it important to inform viewers that the band Led Zeppelin is being sued by an artist claiming the music from their song “Stairway to Heaven” was stolen.
In addition, ABC’s evening news program devoted a full segment to reporting on a recent guest from CBS’s The Price Is Right who spun a dollar on the program’s wheel (giving him $1,000) and then another (giving him an addition $25,000) before winning his showcase prize package at the episode’s conclusion.
Read the full article at News Busters.
Pew Research released a study on the media that, among other things, looked at what information people expose themselves to and how they react to it. The results are a snapshot of an increasing insulated population.
Of the respondents across the political spectrum, 26 percent said they’ve “hidden, blocked, defriended or stopped following someone because they disagreed with something that person posted about politics.” Of those 26 percent, 44 percent were “consistently liberal,” and 25 percent were “mostly liberal, for a total of 69 percent of people on the liberal side of politics who have rid themselves of someone from their online life because they disagreed with them politically.
Across the aisle, 31 percent of people “consistently conservative” and 24 percent of those “mostly conservative,” for a total of 55 percent, have purged someone from their online life because of political differences.
Moving from the digital to the real world, Pew found 16 percent of those “consistently conservative,” and 9 percent of those “mostly conservative” have “stopped talking to/being friends with someone because of politics,” for a total of 25 percent.
Liberals, on the other hand, reported much higher numbers. Only 10 percent of “mostly liberal” respondents abandoned a real life friendship over politics, fully 24 percent of “consistently liberal” people had, for a total of 34 percent.
Read the full article at The Daily Caller.